There might come a time when you need to relocate from the US to some other country. Obviously, the stuff you decide to take with you would be limited. You will take only the favorites and leave back the not so important ones. However, this is all fine when little things like watches or clothes are concerned. But what about vehicles? You can’t leave your favorite motorcycle behind.
It might cost a bit but having your favorite bike with you would be worth it. Here is how to go about it –
- Keep the Documentation Ready for the Motorcycle – Documentation not only includes the proof of ownership but also, the certificate of your motorcycle’s condition. Proof of ownership is necessary for obvious reasons but you would have to prove that it is well within your power to ship the motorcycle overseas legally. Your personal identification would follow these documents. It is always prudent to keep these documents sorted out to save the hassles.
- Searching For a Transport Company – It is not easy to decide on the right transport company and care must be taken during this step. Read customer reviews and gauge the positive response from the people who have experienced the company’s services. Most good companies come with an insurance policy and a shipping policy that provides guarantee in case of loss. Thus, you can ascertain beforehand what you could expect in case of damage of your vehicle.
- Perform Pre-shipping Checks – After checking and cleaning your motorcycle and its parts thoroughly, remove and pack separately any parts that are detachable. Also, discuss in advance with your company if you need to leave some fuel in your motorcycle for driving from and off cargo.
- Current Condition Checks – Most transport companies insist upon this step. You must make a clear record of all the dents and scratches on your motorcycle so that when it is shipped, there aren’t any complications and arguments. This is to ensure that the documents of you and your transport company match without any major discrepancies.
However, even if the company does not require it, you should still follow this step for your own knowledge. You don’t want to send a relatively new motorcycle and get back one full of dents and scratches.
- Payment and Reservations with the Shipping Company – It is important to decide on every little detail beforehand. Whatever method you have chosen to transport, make sure that you have arranged it beforehand. Usually, a deposit is required to be paid before the date of drop off.
Also, it is mostly a habit of people to not read the hipping contract properly. This could land you in trouble if something happens to your motorcycle during shipping. It is necessary that you go through the contract properly and are agreeing to all its clauses. You can even have some clauses changed if they do not seem right to you. Visit a1autotransport for more details about motorcycle shipping.